[j-nsp] ACX5448 & ACX710

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jan 23 15:52:12 EST 2020

On 23/Jan/20 16:00, Shamen Snyder wrote:

> I have been following the ACX 710 for a while now. We have a use case
> in rural markets where we need a dense 10G hardened 1 RU box.
>
> Looks like a promising box, hope the price is right. If not we may
> have to jump to Cisco ASR920s

If I'm honest, what I've noticed with most traditional vendors selling
Broadcom-based boxes is they are touting "price" as the killer use-case
for those boxes. For me, I'm not unwilling to spend a little bit more if
I can sleep at night knowing I have data plane parity between a
Broadcom-based box and an in-house-based box from the same traditional
vendor.

But time and time again, almost like clockwork, Broadcom-based boxes are
being marketed as "Multi-Gigabit" and "Multi-Terabit" platforms with a
gazillion ports at half the price of the "normal" box. What good is all
that hardware if a simple feature doesn't work as I've known it to
before "enhancing my network"?

> 4 100/40G (can be channelized to 4x25G or 4x10G) interfaces, 24 1/10G
> interfaces. Broadcom QAX chipset. 320Gbps of throughput. 3GB buffer.

What I saw about the ACX710 is it has a small FIB. Since we are used to
filtering what enters our ASR920 FIB (and the ACX710 has about 12.8
times that), that's not a show-stopper.

Mark.