[j-nsp] ACX5448 & ACX710

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jan 25 11:15:39 EST 2020

On 24/Jan/20 19:24, Colton Conor wrote:

> Mark,
>
> So which box is best to just get customers a simple IP, but has all
> the management and metro-e requirements you need?

Well, anything sold for a Metro-E application nowadays, whether it
supports MPLS or not, will always have some kind of OAM capability. This
is just vendors building what the industry asked for years ago, and
thinks the industry still needs today.

For us, 98% of the customers on our Metro-E network are simple IP
customers, i.e., DIA or IP Transit. They don't care about OAM. They just
want a connection they can use to access their cloud services.

Of the remaining 2% who buy only EoMPLS services, 0.5% of those ask
about OAM.

To put it another way - if vendors could build boxes and price them
cheaper because they had little or no OAM features (either by design or
via licenses), I'd buy them in an African minute.

Mark.