[j-nsp] arp from correct IP address

Chris Kawchuk ckawchuk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 22:53:13 EST 2020

Ran into the same bug.

$junos-preffered-source-address for an unnumbered for BNG functions does NOT return the "closest/must suitable address" based on the IP+Subnet that was given the subscriber... contrary to the BNG template doucmentation. It just defaults the actual loopback of the router. (the dynamic template that gets created against a demux0.xxxx subscriber says $preffered of "NONE")

This means that things like Subscriber "ARP liveliness detection" doesn't work/cant work. (since the subscriber won't arp-respond to an ARP requests where the source isn't in the local subnet)

I've had a JTAC case open on this for 8 months. Sent full configs, built a full lab for them (so they could trigger it remotely), self full PCAPs.

MX204 + JunOS 18.3Rxxxx + BNG (DHCP/IPoE naturally)

Also on MX80 w/same code - so it's the BNG code, not the platform doing it.

- Ck.