[j-nsp] Automation - The Skinny (Was: Re: ACX5448 & ACX710)

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Tue Jan 28 04:19:12 EST 2020

> And I think almost no one is collecting data in such a manner
> that it's actually capitalisable, because we can keep running the
> network with how how we did in 90s, IF-MIB and netflow, in separate
> systems, with no encrichement at all.

Spot on !

Btw Saku - you keep suggesting measuring delta of input/output ... well to
do it well I am afraid it is not trivial.

So at t0+N I record how many packets entered my system. (We are already at
loss here as RE can generate packets unless you add to this RE outbound
packets). Then at t0+N+uS (uS) delta of switching via fabric you record
number of packets which left the box.

What is your N and uS ?

Do you subtract BFD packets which enter and leave on the same line card
both ingress and egress ?

Monitoring drops is much easier if we are dealing with platforms which is
honest in recording them.

> You don't need ML/AI to find problems in your network, using algorithm
> 'this counter which increments at rate X stopped incrementing or
> started to increment 100 times slower'

Well the way I read Adam's note was that learning this rate X is what he
(IMHO correctly) calls ML :)

Cheers,
R.