[j-nsp] Automation - The Skinny (Was: Re: ACX5448 & ACX710)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jan 28 17:13:00 EST 2020

On 27/Jan/20 00:18, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> Without proper automation in place going way above basic IGP, BGP,
> LDP, BFD etc ... you need a bit of clever automation to detect it and
> either alarm noc or if they are really smart take such router out of
> the SPF network wide. If not you sit and wait till pissed customers
> call - which is already a failure.

So we use Packet Design (now Ciena Blue Planet) for stuff like this.
Works like a treat :-).

We also have a dear NMS that can be told what to look for and notify the
team.

If NOC's are sitting and waiting for customers to get pissed off,
automation is going to make your problems worse, and not better.

Mark.