[j-nsp] DHCP relay monitoring

Baldur Norddahl baldur at gigabit.dk
Thu Jul 9 07:48:16 EDT 2020

Hello

On one of my MX204 routers the DHCP relay crashes after some running
time and the process stops. It is not restarted automatically but will
start again with the following command:

admin at gc-edge1> restart dhcp-service
error: Junos Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol process is not running
Junos Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol process started, pid 72256

I can open a case with JTAC for the cause of the crash, but I am
thinking about how to monitor the relay. None of my current monitoring
tools detects this situation and it is actually quite critical. With no
relay the customers DHCP lease may expire. To a certain extend the
customers will be using unicast to the DHCP server and not many will
feel it right away, but soon enough we will have customers that can not
get online after rebooting their CPE etc.

What options do we have for monitoring running processes on the router?
Are there other processes than DHCP that should be monitored too?

Regards,

Baldur