[j-nsp] ACX5448 & ACX710 - Update!

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Thu Jul 30 09:07:52 EDT 2020

On 30/Jul/20 12:53, Luis Balbinot wrote:
> I work with telecom companies for years and DC is the standard for pretty
> much all of them. If you have a small shelter or container you can deploy
> an UPS DC system with a handful of batteries that will last for hours and
> will not take much space. Look inside a mobile node B station and you’ll
> only find DC power.
>
> All major IDCs will provide you -48VDC too.
>
> And to save a bit of money on power efficiency during the years.

We run cable landing stations across Africa, so yes, we do use DC for
those as well. Very familiar with the use-case.

We just find AC simpler and easier to work with at 3rd party data
centres as well as Metro commercial buildings, for routers, switches,
servers and such appliances. Dropping a UPS at those sites is far
simpler than deploying DC.

Mobile networks use DC heavily, this is well-known. Which is why I said,
this box was made for them.

Mark.