[j-nsp] Wishing for clarification on how dhcp-relay works with multiple server addresses

Matti Saarinen mjsaarin at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Jun 11 01:40:23 EDT 2020

[ I posted this same question to Juniper forums as well - sorry for
repetition ]

Hello,

We have a setup where one set of DHCP servers deliver IP configuration
to clients and another set of DHCP servers deliver the PXE options. This
setup works only if we configure dhcp-relay without forward-only option.
The issue is that this eats up licences and this is something we would
like to avoid. We have tried the setup with forward-only-replies option
as well. When I monitor traffic on the client switch port I see only the
DHCP packets providing IP configuration.

I've tried to go through documentation but I haven't found an
explanation how the DHCP relay works with different configurations. The
observed behaviour suggests that only the DHCP packets from the first
responder are let through and others are dropped. I wish I could change
this behaviour so that all DHCP packet would be allowed to flow through.

Could anyone give me more details how the DHCP relay actually works with
different configuration? The router is MX10003 and it's running Junos
18.2R3.4.

Cheers,

Matti