[j-nsp] vrf auto-export rib-group

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jun 23 07:57:09 EDT 2020

Hey Mihai,

> Is the rib-group configured under VRF auto-export supposed to be a
> 'per-table' (instead of per-protocol) rib-group which can also export
> routes from VRFs to non-VRF instances, default included?
> The example on the link below shows the export to another table within
> the same instance:
>
> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/policy-duplicating-routes.html
>
> I already tested and confirmed that routes from VRFs can be leaked to
> inet.0 by just using the rib-group under auto-export but I am not sure
> whether this is officially supported.

I'm not sure if auto-export and rib-groups are directly related. The
common reason why you need auto-export in Junos (but not in other NOS)
is that if you import RT, and that RT in another local VRF,  you don't
import it. As import only works on verbatim l3vpn rib. Auto-export
allows you to RT import routes from other local VRFs.

rib-group is a set of ribs,which you can attach to multiple places and
it has different semantics on where you set it. But once a route hitsa
 rib-group, instead of it being installed to one specific RIB, it is
installed to all of the RIBs in that rib-group.

There are some significant behavioural differences on route which
arrived 'natively' to RIB and route which arrived via rib-group,
namely you might not be able to reflect one in BGP while you are able
to reflect another. And sadly it's a feature, not a bug.

--
  ++ytti