[j-nsp] SNMP very slow on MX10003

Tobias Heister lists at tobias-heister.de
Mon May 25 12:36:32 EDT 2020

Hi,

On 25.05.2020 18:25, Leon Kramer wrote:
> If you think that SNMP is too slow, what alternative can you recommend
> for fetching interface counters?

Probably the canonical answer these days is streaming telemetry which can be done directly from the PFE for a lot of counters.

In a former life when SNMP got too slow we sometimes switches to screenscraping "show interfaces | display XML" via SSH/netconf. But this would only help if the data itself is presented fast enough. We had boxes where presenting thh data itself towards the cli/SNMP agent was the bottleneck so the method of pulling it made no difference.

--
Kind Regards
Tobias Heister