[j-nsp] BGP output queue priorities between RIBs/NLRIs

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Mon Nov 9 12:19:46 EST 2020

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020, Rob Foehl wrote:

> Anyone know the secret to getting BGP output queue priorities working across
> multiple NLRIs?
[...]
> I've tried about a dozen combinations of options, and cannot get any other
> result with inet/evpn routes in the same session -- inet.0 routes always
> arrive ahead of *.evpn.0.

Following up on this for posterity:

That last part turns out to not be entirely true.  It appears that the
output queue priorities do work as intended, but route generation walks
through the RIBs in a static order, always starting with inet.0 -- so
maybe the last ~1000 inet routes wind up in the output queues at the same
time as evpn routes.

This was declared to be working as designed, and the issue is now stuck in
ER hell; best estimate for a real solution is "maybe next year".  Route
refresh for EVPN routes triggering a full walk of all RIBs was also
confirmed, but remains unexplained.

-Rob