[j-nsp] evpn trouble

Roger Wiklund roger.wiklund at gmail.com
Tue May 11 09:45:40 EDT 2021

Hi

What data plane are you using, MPLS or VXLAN?

Instance-type evpn is VLAN-Based Service. I.E one VLAN per EVPN instance,
is this what you want?
Configuring EVPN with VLAN-Based Service | EVPN User Guide | Juniper
Networks TechLibrary
<https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/evpn-vxlan/topics/task/evpn-routing-instance-vlan-based-configuring.html>

If you want to run multiple VLANs in one EVPN instance you can use
VLAN-Aware Service (instance-type virtual-switch or in default
virtual-switch) where each VLAN/VNI will have a unique RT.
Understanding VLAN-Aware Bundle and VLAN-Based Service for EVPN | EVPN User
Guide | Juniper Networks TechLibrary
<https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/evpn-vxlan/topics/concept/evpn-vlan-services-overview-qfx-series.html>

With that said from Junos 20.4R1 there's a new mac-vrf instance-type where
you can more clearly define the different services
instance-type mac-vrf
service-type vlan-aware / vlan-based / vlan-bundle
Microsoft Word - EVPN_VxLAN_MAC-VRF_NCE.docx (juniper.net)
<https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/nce/information-products/pathway-pages/nce/EVPN_VxLAN_MAC-VRF.pdf>

Not sure when MX/ACX will gain this feature though.

Regards
Roger