[j-nsp] Cut through and buffer questions

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Nov 19 23:10:40 EST 2021

On 11/19/21 17:05, Thomas Bellman via juniper-nsp wrote:

> [1] Of the 12 Mbyte buffer space in Trident 2, which is used in
>      QFX5100 and EX4600, 3 Mbyte is used for per-port dedicated
>      buffers, and 9 Mbyte is shared between all ports.  I believe
>      on later chips an even larger percentage is shared.

This is what got us off the EX4600 (and the EX4550, prior to that).

Been on the Arista 7280R ever since, and we are happy. The only problem
is Arista seem to stop producing current code for older boxes at some
point, as we've seen with our 7508E's.

Not a major drama since we use these purely for Layer 2 switching, but
if we were running them as IP/MPLS routers, we'd be royally pissed.

Mark.