[j-nsp] Cisco to Juniper BNG

mike+lists at yourtownonline.com mike+lists at yourtownonline.com
Fri Sep 17 12:13:01 EDT 2021

Hello,

     I have decided to investigate reorganizing how I terminate customer
broadband sessions and I have some questions about differences in Cisco
vs Juniper radius profiles:

     Currently in radius, I have a number of attributes I push out upon
authentication which can include things like Framed-IP-Address,
Framed-IP-Netmask,  Framed-Route and Filter-id. I know these are pretty
standard and likely are supported out of the box on Cisco and likely
juniper too. However, I also do rate limiting in radius since my BNGs
are cisco, and these rely on the 'Cisco-Service-Info' attribute with
values like "QU;30000000;5625000;11250000;D;30000000;5625000;11250000",
which establishes a 30m/30m pipe. I like using radius for this but most
of what I have seen says I need instead to establish profiles on the
Junos box itself in advance and reference them by name. This seems
really inconvenient. I have done some poking around and see there is
some dynamic profile support, but I am just not connecting the dots how
I would get a similar feature to allow me to set the shaping rates in
radius for juniper. If it matters, my primary access method is PPPoE but
in the future I will move to a DHCP / CGNAT arrangement but still want
to have the filtering/shaping functionality.

Thank you.

Mike-