Advertising inactive routes to iBGP neighbors

James james at nexril.net
Sun Apr 17 11:49:44 EDT 2022

Hi all,

I have two routes in inet.0, neither of which come from BGP:

10.200.7.2/32      *[Static/5] 00:14:40
                    >  to 10.200.7.2 via irb.102
                    [EVPN/7] 00:08:25
                    >  via irb.102

I want to advertise the 'EVPN/7' route, either alongside or completely in place
of the 'Static/5' route. The particular use case here is EVPN-VXLAN virtual
machine traffic optimization, where I want to advertise the EVPN route with a
higher localpref to steer traffic towards one or more particular leaf switches
while still advertising the static route as a fallback in case the EVPN route
is not there. Normally this works because the attached prefixes are longer than
a /32, but I just can't seem to figure out how to make this work with /32
statically routed prefixes.

I've already tried several methods including rib-groups to bring the route into
another table (no support for rib-groups with EVPN routes), bgp add-path
(doesn't advertise the second path), and playing with route preferences
(static route needs to be the active route for forwarding purposes), but none
of those have been successful.

Any other suggestions on how I could achieve this?

Thanks,
James