[j-nsp] Outgrowing a QFX5100

Mike Gonnason gonnason at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 00:57:47 EDT 2022

Hi Jason,

Do you have any more details about what limitations you are encountering on
the QFX?  Is it hardware related or software?

You can use the feature explorer to see what is supported:
https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/feature-family-info.html?ffKey=102&familyName=Authentication%20and%20Access%20Control

MX will generally support more features or be more capacity than the
EX/QFX, but as you can see 802.1x is a wide ranging topic with plenty of
corner-case features.

As for a "step-up", it is really just a different use case and
requirements. The QFX is a solid switching performer, with plenty of
support for modern data center tech. I have deployed a bunch of QFX5120 in
a EVPN config but also have some in VC or standalone, however none doing
802.1x.

-Mike Gonnason