[j-nsp] Hardware configuration for cRPD as RR

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Wed Dec 6 12:58:11 EST 2023

Hey!

cRPD documentation is quite terse about resource requirements:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/crpd/crpd-deployment/topics/concept/crpd-hardware-requirements.html

When used as a route reflector with about 20 million routes, what kind
of hardware should we use? Documentation says about 64 GB of memory, but
for everything else? Notably, should we have many cores but lower boost
frequency, or not too many cores but higher boost frequency?

There is a Day One book about cRPD, but they show a very outdated
processor (Sandy Lake, 10 years old).

Is anyone using cRPD as RR with a similar scale and can share the
hardware configuration they use? Did you also optimize the underlying OS
in some way or just use a stock configuration?

Thanks.