[j-nsp] Hardware configuration for cRPD as RR

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Dec 7 10:05:35 EST 2023

On Thu, 7 Dec 2023 at 16:22, Michael Hare via juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> I recognize Saku's recommendation of rib sharding is a practical one at 20M routes, I'm curious if anyone is willing to admit to using it in production and on what version of JunOS.  I admit to have not played with this in the lab yet, we are much smaller [3.5M RIB] worst case at this point.

2914 uses it, not out of desire (too new, too rare), but out of
necessity at scale 2914 needs. Surprisingly mature/robust for what it
is, and how rare routing suites are to support any type of
multithreading.

Of course the design is a relatively conservative and clever
compromise between building a truly multithreaded routing suite and
delivering something practical on a legacy codebase. It wouldn't help
in every RIB, but probably helps in every practical RIB. If you have a
low amount of duplicate RIB entries it might not be very useful, as
final collation of unique entries will be more or less single threaded
anyhow. But I believe anyone having a truly large RIB, like 20M, will
have massive duplication and will see significant benefit.

--
  ++ytti