[j-nsp] MX304 Port Layout

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Jul 2 09:19:53 EDT 2023

On Sun, 2 Jul 2023 at 15:53, Mark Tinka via juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Well, by your definition, the ASR9903, for example, is a distributed
> platform, which has a fabric ASIC via the RP, with 4x NPU's on the fixed
> line card, 2x NPU's on the 800Gbps PEC and 4x NPU's on the 2Tbps PEC.

Right as is MX304.

I don't think this is 'my definition', everything was centralised
originally, until Cisco7500 came out, which then had distributed
forwarding capabilities.

Now does centralisation truly mean BOM benefit to vendors? Probably
not, but it may allow to address one lower margin market which as
lower per-port performance needs, without cannibilising larger margin
market.

--
  ++ytti