[j-nsp] MX304 Port Layout

Tarko Tikan tarko at lanparty.ee
Tue Jun 27 12:45:59 EDT 2023

hey,

> While I'm not sure operators want that, they will take a look if the
> lower price does not impact performance.

Previously mentioned centralized boxes are actually becoming more and
more common now (in addition to non-redundant pizzabox formfactor that
has been available for ages) that single NPU can do 2+ Tbps. For BCM J2
see ACX7509, Nokia IXR-R6d or certain Cisco NCS models. All pretty good
fits for SP aggregation networks.

Single NPU doesn't mean non-redundant - those devices run two (or 4 in
ACX case) BCM NPUs and switch "linecards" over to backup NPU when
required. All without true fabric and distributed NPUs to keep the cost
down.

IMHO these are very compelling options for SP market, you get selection
of linecards for different applications/architectures yet the overall
size of the device (and power consumption) is small. I've been trying to
explain to one of the major vendors that they should build similar
device with their own silicon so you get similar benefits while keeping
the rich featureset that comes with vendor silicon compared to BCM.

--
tarko