[j-nsp] MX304 - Edge Router

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Oct 25 09:11:30 EDT 2023

On 10/25/23 08:01, Saku Ytti via juniper-nsp wrote:

> Juniper had assured me multiple times that they strategically have
> decided to NEVER do this. That it's an actual decision they've
> considered at the highest level, that they will not downgrade devices
> in operation. I guess 'reboot' is not in-operation?
>
> Notion that operators are able to keep licenses up-to-date and valid
> is naive, we can't keep SSL certificates valid and we've had decades
> of time to learn, it won't happen. You will learn about the problem,
> when shit breaks.
>
> The right solution would be a phone-home, and a vendor sales rep
> calling you 'hey you have expired licenses, let's solve this'. Not
> breaking the boxes. Or 'your phone home hasn't worked, you need to fix
> it before we can re-up your support contract'.

I spoke to my SE about this today, and he checked with the PLM. While a
license can be purchased to quiet the logs, it is not necessary for
routing protocols to work.

If you buy your MX304 from Juniper, you will pay for a license anyway.

He thinks the issue the OP experienced where routing protocols did not
work after the reboot is an unrelated issue to licenses.

Mark.