[j-nsp] MX304 - Edge Router

Chuck Anderson cra at fea.st
Wed Oct 25 09:25:42 EDT 2023

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 03:12:29PM +0200, Mark Tinka via juniper-nsp wrote:
> On 10/25/23 10:57, Sebastian Wiesinger via juniper-nsp wrote:
> > Yeah it depends. Our MX204 also needed licenses for subscriber
> > managment. Some options would produce a license warning and some other
> > stuff just failed silently which was worse. Also noone at Juniper
> > seemed to know WHICH licenses we needed for our usecase.
> >
> > In the end our license list looked like this:
> >
> > subscriber-accounting
> > subscriber-authentication
> > subscriber-address-assignment
> > subscriber-vlan
> > subscriber-ip
> > scale-subscriber
> > scale-l2tp
> > l2tp-inline-lns
> >
> > So yeah.. that wasn't a nice experience at all.
>
> Subscriber Management has always required real licenses on the MX since
> it started shipping BNG code.
>
> You got 1,000 subscribers as standard, and then needed an enforceable
> license after that.

This caused us heartburn for our Campus LAN when we upgraded as we had
been using "forwarding-options helpers bootp" and were told that it
was deprecated and we needed to move to "forwarding-options
dhcp-relay" which is a BNG feature that requires a subscriber
license--a ridiculous requirement for a Campus LAN.  It turns out that
"helpers bootp" still worked, and may still work today, but I'm no
longer working in that environment so I'm not sure.