[j-nsp] MX304 - Edge Router

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Oct 26 12:18:13 EDT 2023

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 12:09:39PM -0400, Tom Beecher wrote:
> > Did I mention Arista is not spending valuable engineer time on all this
> > license shit, but on actually making great products?
>
> Oh they aren't?
>
> https://www.arista.com/en/support/product-documentation/eos-feature-licensing

There are licenses, and they do expect you to actually buy them (which
I do not particularily object to, as long as the license price is not
like 5x the price of the hardware).

But there is no single line of code *anywhere* that deals with licensing,
not only "no enforcement" but actually no way to even enter any sort of
licensing thing into the device itself.

As I said, their engineers are busy making good products.  Other vendors
prefer to build convoluted license checking/enforcement schemes, and
neglect overall software quality.  We've made our choice.

> Arista will almost certainly move towards a licensing model similar to
> other vendors at some point once their growth curve slows and they need to
> start squeezing more revenue out of what they are selling.

We'll see.  Maybe there will be someone else then who is not intent on
annoying their customers, but on actually building a good working
relationship.

(I do seem to remember that at a time Juniper had the reputation on
very high quality software, and a good TAC, and 'that other vendor'
started doing the licensing bullshit, driving customers away... seems
someone in product marketing misunderstood the "market leader" bullshit
from 'that other vendor' in a big way)

gert