[j-nsp] Hardware configuration for cRPD as RR

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Feb 6 11:53:07 EST 2024

On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 at 18:35, Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:

> IME, when we got all available paths, ORR was irrelevant.
>
> But yes, at the cost of some control plane resources.

Not just opinion, fact. If you see everything, ORR does nothing but adds cost.

You only need AddPath and ORR, when everything is too expensive, but
you still need good choices.

But even if you have resources to see all, you may not actually want
to have a lot of useless signalling and overhead, as it'll add
convergence time and risk of encouraging rare bugs to surface. In the
case where I deployed it, having all was not realistic possibly, in
that, having all would mean network upgrade cycle is determined when
enough peers are added, causing RIB scale to demand triggering full
upgrade cycle, despite not selling the ports already paid.
You shouldn't need to upgrade your boxes, because your RIB/FIB doesn't
scale, you should only need to upgrade your boxes, if you don't have
holes to stick paying fiber into.

--
  ++ytti