[j-nsp] JunOS forwarding IPv6 packets with link-local source

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri May 17 02:26:24 EDT 2024

On Thu, 16 May 2024 at 21:23, Antti Ristimäki via juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Does anyone have any insight into this? This issue was discussed on
> this list already over 10 years ago, for example:
> https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2012-April/023134.html

Personally I'm not convinced I'd even want this fixed, as it likely
comes with significant per-packet cost. Reality is always some
pragmatic version of standard. But I'm pretty sure if you press it,
Juniper will accept it as PR.

If I read the IPv6 standard correctly, nodes /have to/ join the ND
multicast group, which they don't, which is good, because the whole
thing is dumb, fragile and expensive.
ICMPv6 ND forwarding is weird, most forward it happily in all cases,
some like SROS punt all ICMPv6 ND with TTL 255, transit or punt, and
transit all TTL 254 or less.

--
  ++ytti