[Outages-announce] Announcement: Critical Internet Infrastructure WG is now open to public participation

virendra rode virendra.rode at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 15:57:00 EST 2009

Hi Justin,

Justin Shore wrote:
> Gadi Evron wrote:
>> Perhaps outages@ has matured enough for some guidelines to be written?
>
> That's certainly a possibility.  Perhaps there should be different
> outages lists for different types of outages.  That could be a good way
> to maintain the integrity of the original Outages list, keeping the
> fluff off that list but still make it available on other lists.
- ----------------------
We've had similar discussion on the list (search archives) and off-line
and the general consensus was to split outages list into sublist such as :

outages at outages.org - Reporting planned/unplanned outages only.
outages-announce at outages.org - Change management and future updates
related to the list.
outages-discussion at outages.org - Post outages meta-discussion
(troubleshooting, analysis, post-mortem, etc).

> When I think of the Outages list I think of outages to major components
> of the Internet infrastructure such as IXPs, DNS root servers, major
> carrier failures, etc.  I would expand that to cover major data center,
> carrier hotel, wire center/CO hits too.  That's what I expect to see on
> the current Outages list.  I suppose there could be an outages list for
> other things though such as gaming servers/services (major ones like
> what the gaming companies themselves host such as WoW); major website
> outages such as Google, CNN or Facebook; application outages such as
> instant messaging, Vonage, Google Voice, etc.  Those would be good
> candidates for new outage lists.
- ---------------------------------
My vision for outages list still stands as single source for significant
outages so one could look at a central list such as outages hopefully
get your answer as opposed to tracking/subscribing to multiple outages
list which in my opinion doesn't really help because what is reported on
a list sometimes may not to be reported to other list unless someone
reports back.

Letting this kind of stuff on Outages would be like turning NANOG into a
general tech support list; not a good thing.

I agree, many times people including myself don't like the noise hence
choose to stay away from discussion list.  Then again we direct users to
outages sub-list for the same reason you've mentioned, if we feel the
thread is leading into discussion that needs to be taken offine.

> It's a thought.
>  Justin
Thanks for listening and your comments, hopefully it will make good
things come of it.

regards,
/virendra