[Outages-discussion] Anyone aware of problems around Chicago (I believe)?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Apr 30 17:10:18 EDT 2009

On Apr 30, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:38:36 CDT, Larry Sheldon said:
>
>> 1.  Failures in traceroute and ping mean the Intartubes are broken.
>> 2.  For safety and security, ICMP, ping packets and traceroutes
>> must be blocked.
>
> Both of these need at least a page at Snopes.
>
> Though it might be interesting to see ICMP-blocking firewalls given
> the
> Mythbusters treatment ;)

The problem is some people see ICMP as noise, others see it as a
viable communication channel.  as a "bad guy" I can come up with a way
to beam out that word doc i want to steal in icmp messages.

but yeah, a page at snopes might help :)

and saying to block tcp/53 since it's Baaaaaaad! sigh, the problem is
these people are not clued enough to even find snopes i suspect.

	- jared