[Outages-discussion] ICMP Filtering/Prioritization [was Re: [outages] Level3 Chicago]

William R. Lorenz wrl at express.org
Thu Aug 20 00:03:57 EDT 2009

Hi Craig & Devon,

[Discussion thread moved to outages-discussion list.]

I have a few related questions about the ICMP prioritization you mention.

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Craig Pierantozzi wrote:

> Yes, and when pure prioritization is not available, ISPs will use rate
> limiting too which is one of the ways Level 3 restricts ICMP to the cpu
> on the core devices.

Is it fair to assume any such rate limiting is strictly inbound to a local
router?  For example, if there was a network path similar to this example:

   point_a <-> level3_router_one <-> level3_router_two <-> point_b

Would it be fair to assume that ICMP packets would NOT be rate limited
across the Level3 network from point_a to point_b?  Those IP/ICMP packets
would be treated as transit traffic and not limited in any way, correct?
Working within the Level3 example, those transit-bound IP packets should
be treated the same by CAR/BAR/EBR/HSA routers, etc.  Is that accurate?

I haven't looked, but maybe there's a NANOG thread RE ICMP prioritization.
Perhaps there's also an engineer from Level3's IP group that could chime
in with additional details. :-)  Thanks, in advance, for your insights.

--
William R. Lorenz