[Outages-discussion] Another power outage today at Hurricane?

Luke S Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Tue Nov 3 19:16:47 EST 2009

Stef Walter <stef-list at memberwebs.com> writes:

> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > There are other co-location providers in the bay who offer equal (or
> > slightly more -- "slightly" means maybe $25-50) rates with much better
> > service, better peering (less shady, more redundancy), and guarantee
> > service reliability with reimbursement for service in 15-minute
> > increments (service hard down for an hour?  credit = rate * 4).
>
> I'm interested, do you have any of these you would recommend by name?
> Whether on or off list...

I have had luck with SVTIX -  per watt it's actually much cheaper
than he.net, and it's always uncomfortably cold, something I can't
say for the Fremont he.net co-lo.  He.net does have a presence at SVTIX,
as do many others. (and many 3rd parties willing to resell to you if you
are small.)

The power at SVTIX has been rock solid.

I've actually been pretty happy with he.net bandwidth;  but their co-lo
seems to be built for people who are way lower density than I am.  11.25
usable amps of 120v per rack means I can put up 5 servers per rack, so it
actually ends up being a lot more expensive than SVTIX.

(On the other hand, I know a guy who runs his business off a rack full
of desktop servers.  He.net colo is perfect for him, because he cheaply gets
enough rackspace to hold the towers.  I send everyone who comes to me
wanting to co-lo desktops to he.net resellers.)

My setup at svtix is two 20a 120v circuits per 20a rack,  which isn't as
much power as I'd like, but it's better than the five servers I
can fit in a he.net rack.    I'd really like a 30a 208v circuit per
rack, but I haven't seen that outside of 55 s. market, which gets
kinda pricy.  (If I had a good cross connect between the two, my next
expansion would probably be a cage there.)

--
Luke S. Crawford
http://prgmr.com/xen/        -  Hosting for the technically adept