[Outages-discussion] [outages] FB down?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Apr 24 17:14:32 EDT 2010

----- "Seth Mattinen" <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
> On 4/24/10 1:21 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:
> > If you're saying that the members would like to know every time that that
> > mom 'n pop home page is down, then I would recommend you start another
> > outages listserv.
> >
> > When Jay made the reference to "Web service providers of a Certain Size", I
> > understood him to mean those who might make Alexa's top 1000, and I think
> > most of the listserv members feel the same way.
> >
> > Size does matter.
>
> While I am not a fan of the facebook/myspace/twitter is down reports,
> it is concievable that for some people that is 100% of the internet.

Yes; about half the people on my friends list.  :-)

And yes, I was talking about the size of the WSP, not the size of the
customer; all customers should be taken seriously.  Needing proactive
knowledge of outages to make that easier, though, is a task which does seem
to have diminshing returns as to the size of the service provider; hence
my observation.

Cheers,
-- jra

    Start a man a fire, and he'll be warm all night.
     Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.