[Outages-discussion] [outages] FB down?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sun Apr 25 17:38:42 EDT 2010

On 4/24/10 1:21 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:
> If you're saying that the members would like to know every time that that
> mom 'n pop home page is down, then I would recommend you start another
> outages listserv.
>
> When Jay made the reference to "Web service providers of a Certain Size", I
> understood him to mean those who might make Alexa's top 1000, and I think
> most of the listserv members feel the same way.
>
> Size does matter.

Agreed.  Case in point:  A few years ago Yahoo was the subject of a DDoS
attack.  Our support staff got buried in calls wanting to know why the
internet was down.

It turns out that lots of people have Yahoo as their home page.  They
didn't appreciate that there was more to "The Internet".  They fired up
their web browser, got an error, and called their ISP.

Similarly, an outage of Facebook, EBay, etc. is likely to result in
customers calling their provider.

If http://podunkdialupisp.com/~hilda/photos-of-my-cat.html is down, we
probably don't need to hear about it.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net