[Outages-discussion] [outages] Cable map

virendra rode virendra.rode at outages.org
Thu Aug 19 21:51:45 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 08/19/2010 05:41 AM, Frank Bulk - iName.com wrote:
> I’m moving this over to the outages-discussion.
>

> Most of the cable faults reported here are on land, not in the water.  And that information is kept pretty close to the chest.
>

> Frank
- -------------------------
IMO, not all carriers haven't stepped up to the plate as far as keeping the
network operator community informed whether be land or undersea outages.

Also where it does cause disruption, that isn’t just to network traffic.
There’s a lot of money and blame[0] riding on this. The owners of these
cables are leasing capacity to wholesale carriers, who are leasing to
other wholesalers, who are leasing to an operator, who then might be
doing business with a regional operator who has a contract with a
business which relies on the cable. At each step there’s an SLA, and
each issue can influence several organizations. A single cable
break will lead to tens, hundreds or thousands of SLAs being broken.

[0] Terrorism, fishing trawlers, shark attack, extreme weather, human
error, earthquakes, etc.

Side note: As for deep under the sea, diversity of routes is the only
real protection.

I welcome further insight into this discussion.

regards,
/virendra