[Outages-discussion] ADMIN: Outages Group Meetup.

virendra rode virendra.rode at outages.org
Wed Jul 21 18:00:41 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm looking at hosting a get together locally in the Los Angeles
area for those interested in sharing their thoughts, challenges and just
outage experiences including tools (home grown and /or commercial) that
you use to keep your provider(s)/peering relationship honest. We all
know that getting straight answers regarding outage(s) events from
providers has historically been challenging.

Is there any interest in such a get together? I'm open for feedback and
suggestions.

Following is a few things I would like to put on the agenda for this event.

1. How would you like to see outages.org evolve? What's your expectation?

2. If we are able to convince service provider's participation, what
topics would you like to see being presented and /or being discussed
related to outages?

3. If you have a tool you use to monitor your environment how do they
work for your environment? Does it scale? What would you like to see out
of such a tool (open-source or commercial). I understand that everyone
has a different approach, and you may not agree on just one tool and I'm
not suggesting that everyone use such a tool (open-source or
commercial). Gathering such feedback within the industry and community
can give us that direction and hopefully set such a standard or pointers.

More importantly would like to keep the meet up loose where people can
mingle, debate and just have fun. Hopefully this will give us direction
for future topic if there's enough demand.

Collaboration/participation is one of the key things that I'm aiming to
achieve w/o the need for an overarching organizational body and have a
broad base of representation.

Personally my long term goal for outages is truly long-term.

Please respond directly to me and NOT the list and I will gather the
results and post to wiki.outages.org

Depending on the response will see if we can possibly kick off first
outages meetup. Off course sponsors for food & drinks are welcome :-)

Like always, thank you for your support.

grateful thanks,
/virendra