[Outages-discussion] [outages] Facebook down?

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Thu Nov 18 12:51:46 EST 2010

I think we've had this discussion a few hundred times.  I think it's less of
an inconvenience for the businesses who don't depend on facebook to delete
the emails than it is for those that do not to receive the information.  For
several networks some of them ISP's they are far more likely to get millions
of calls when facebook or MSN or twitter is down than when 1 of 10 or so
upstreams is having issues.  It's also a bit harder to tell when a content
network is down vs. a transit.  For an ISP traceroute or a route server will
tell the tale.  For places like facebook it's hard to tell on the surface it
it's you, your upstream(s) or the network itself causing the problem.  I
usually delete them but these messages are very useful for some.