[Outages-discussion] [outages] Facebook down?

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Thu Nov 18 13:06:02 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:52 AM, John Von Essen <john at quonix.net> wrote:

> I mentioned this to Virendra in that survey that was sent out, but why do
> we feel its important to track facebook being up or down?
>
> I find this list to be useful in tracking major IP outages between transit
> carriers. It goes directly to my NOC pager and all my NOC staff, and many
> times it has been very useful when people post about an OC-48 cut for ATT,
> or an XO outage, then our customers call us about issues and we know its not
> us and their carrier.

Maybe it's just me but I've always considered this more of a public service
than an actual part of my notification/monitoring solution.  I mean what if
someone fabricates an outage or two?  Your whole staff will be
troubleshooting thin air.  Also, I suppose this entire discussion as well as
the unwanted FB messages are all going to your entire NOC as well as the
oncall pager. Not to be rude but if you work for an ISP large enough to page
someone no matter what is reported on this list, or where it happened,
shouldn't there be some sort of internal monitoring used?  Or at least
something to filter spam from a public listsrv?  It seems a bit strange to
have a community list somehow limit it's content so that you can send to
your oncall pager only what your company thinks is relavant.  Just my 2c I
suppose.