[Outages-discussion] [outages] Verizon Business OC-48 in Philly, S. New Jersey down

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Sat Sep 4 23:53:01 EDT 2010

On 9/4/10 11:38 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:
> On 9/4/2010 21:52, Bill Wichers wrote:
>> I've seen plenty of SONET "rings" where both sides are in the same
>> cable. Not too much protection when doing things that way...
>>
>> I think the southern cross cable system had some customers that
>> discovered several years back that running production traffic on both
>> sides of your ring can seem like a great way to double capacity until
>> a major storm goes through and blows away one of the cables and you
>> don't have any capacity left for protection on the remaining side of
>> the ring.
> A problem probably as old as chariots.
>
> Management does not understand the notion of "spares".  They understand
> paying for stuff in revenue service, and does not understand paying for
> stuff not in revenue service.

I recently sat in a meeting where a manager suggested, in all
seriousness, since we hadn't used some redundant circuits and servers
recently, maybe we should get rid of them to save money.  (Not only are
they all hot standbys, he didn't bother checking with the operations
guys as to when they'd last saved our butts, he seems to have assumed
that since there hadn't been any failures that he'd been notified of
(and he generally only hears about outages that several customers would
notice), the hot standbys had done nothing but suck down electricity and
dollars.)  I refrained, but just barely, from pointing out that since he
hadn't had any auto accidents recently, he could improve his gas mileage
by removing the weight of his seat belts and air bags.

Sigh.

BTW, the Philly VZB OC-48 came back late last night.

--
Jon Radel