[Outages-discussion] Idea to help with the S/N on outages...

Bino Gopal Bino.Gopal at citrix.com
Wed Aug 17 14:12:29 EDT 2011

So the recent Netflix thread just got me thinking...why hasn't someone (or have they, in which case they should publicize it more and spread the word and it should be mentioned in response to the "noisy" posts), set up real-time monitoring of these "popular" services like Netflix, Facebook, from multiple different locations so that people can go there and check it first before posting here?

I mean there is http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/# but I'm not sure how robust it is and where it checks from exactly (and it provides no way to get detail on what it checks and how it checks-basically there's nothing showing its work) so I'm not sure how much it can be trusted...  Something like that but with a lot more detail would be cool...it could even be locked with a login for people on the list if we wanted to keep it low traffic (for whatever reason).

Maybe this has been brought up before (didn't see it in any of the recent discussion archives tho), but it seems like one of the easier solutions to the S/N ratio problem...just two cents tho. ;)

                                                                                                                BINO