[Outages-discussion] [outages] Fwd: OC 192 Outage in OR/WA

Jeremy Chadwick outages at jdc.parodius.com
Mon Jan 17 12:38:36 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:03:44PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

Who to date has ever attempted that?  Have any references or historical
cases I can read?

I can mirror Bill's sentiments and experience here, especially when
working with the "big boys" (AT&T, Verizon, Abovenet, L3, etc.).  It's
impossible to say whether the decisions made during provisioning and
deployment were done to save money, or out of sheer laziness.  I tend to
think it's the latter.

I do recognise that in some cases there are physical limitations that
trump all of the above (ex. only one conduit available for long-haul as
a result of a huge mountain being in the way).