[Outages-discussion] [outages] ipv6.netflix.com and www.ipv6.cisco.com down

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon May 2 21:54:48 EDT 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 9:39 PM, Ryan Rawdon wrote:

> Netflix took giant leaps backwards on the IPv6 front a few months ago when they started pushing more of their infrastructure to Amazon and elsewhere.
>
> After that, ipv6.netflix.com went to their IPv6-only site still, but just about any clickpath would get you onto their v4-only sites very quickly (generally by redirecting to movies.netflix.com instead of staying on ipv6.netflix.com like it used to).  Streaming could still be done over IPv6 if you manually changed the URL.
>
> About a week after they moved more of their content to the cloud, their IPv6 streaming couldn't be accessed even by manually changing the URL to ipv6.netflix.com, it would redirect back to a v4-only hostname.
>
> Their ipv6 site has about 1% of the IPv6-capable functionality it had 6 months ago.

I've done some surveying of domain names in the past week or two, and determine that about 0.7% are "broken" for IPv6/AAAA queries.  This is generally something that is observable by following a domain name.  (I posted details over on the ipv6-ops list).
http://lists.cluenet.de/pipermail/ipv6-ops/2011-April/005341.html

I do wish everyone would go ask their provider for IPv6, or what their plans are for IPv6 day.  There's not a lot of reasons it can't be made available.  The usual reasons for something being broken are typically network elements that have not been upgraded in the past few years.  If you're ignoring them, something should be done.

- Jared