[Outages-discussion] [outages] Level 3 core router in Chicago down?

Jeremy Chadwick outages at jdc.parodius.com
Thu May 26 01:48:32 EDT 2011

Additionally, if this was scheduled maintenance on L3's part, why didn't
they adjust/decrease BGP route preference, say, 30 minutes in advance of
their work (to give announcements a chance to propagate), so that
packets through routes which had alternate paths available would
hopefully not take that L3 path any longer?

We do this all the time at my workplace (JunOS: policy-statement that
contains an adjusted (lower) local-preference than usual, then use set
import/set export for that policy on the appropriate BGP neighbour).
Really not rocket science here.  It's not perfect, but it's effective
about 90% of the time.

It sure looks like someone just did their work without a care in the
world for the packets going through it.  L3 isn't the only offender when
it comes to this mentality; I'm not singling them out.  :-)