[Outages-discussion] Internet "backbone"

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Fri Nov 18 17:09:51 EST 2011

This is one of those buzzwords the was never given a real definition, like
the concept of tier I, II and III ISP's.  I can't recall ever using the
term internet backbone in a sentence but it does help people who may not
understand the specifics to describe the "big pipes" that carry their
traffic.  This industry is full of buzzwords that are no longer accurate or
never were.  I would say anyone that carries 30G or more of transit is as
close to being a backbone provider as it gets.  It's true that just about
anyone can peer with anyone else directly, but most talk through the large
ISP's so I understand why some may still use the term.