[Outages-discussion] Internet "backbone"

Joseph Jackson jjackson at aninetworks.net
Sat Nov 19 03:17:46 EST 2011

On 11/18/2011 09:15 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2011, at 4:26 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>
>> Since then, it has never had any meaning, of any type.  At least not any serious meaning.
> It tends to crop up in discussions in which the participants refer to 'cyber-' this and 'cyber-' that, which is all one really needs to know about the seriousness of both the conversations in question and the participants engaged in same.
>
> ;>

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  While some seem to think the
default-free zone is the core or internet fabric I still don't think its
a good description.  As to disabusing the idea that there is an internet
"backbone" or "core" I think network engineers/admins are the first line
in that fight.  I know network admins that still say internet backbone
and core and I think its high time the community started getting the way
they conceptualize such topics to be more fact based than some nebulous
terms.

TL;DR - The community needs to educated each other and our end users so
as people better understand how this highly complex network works and is
designed.

Thanks,

Joseph