[Outages-discussion] Internet "backbone"

virendra rode virendra.rode at outages.org
Mon Nov 21 00:46:01 EST 2011

On 11/20/2011 03:52 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2011, at 5:32 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Joseph Jackson
>> <jjackson at aninetworks.net> wrote:
>>> backbone?  This isn't the NSFnet anymore with a few long haul links between
>>> sites.  When someone says Internet Backbone what are they trying to describe
>>> since such a physical infrastructure doesn't really exist anymore.
>>
>> It's true it's not NSFnet anymore,  but there still are some _much_
>> higher capacity networks
>> that are utilized for the greatest amount of traffic   from point A to
>> point B,  and enough of those
>> had an outage, the multitude of POPs and other interconnections simply
>> would not come close to replacing them.
>
> Of course some networks are bigger than others.  Of course some of the smaller networks buy transit from some of the bigger networks.
- ----------------------
True enough. The hierarchy of the Internet peering ecosystem has
developed into a flat mesh, w/ the tier 1 transit providers required
only as route of last resort.

> But it is not strictly hierarchical.  For instance, there are some networks who buy transit which have more traffic than some transit free networks.  And if two transit free networks lose connectivity, the traffic simply stops, so there is no worry about other interconnections or POOPs "replacing them".
I'm sure large scale network savvy content providers will be happy to
jump in to build a "backbone" and peer in order to improve the end-user
experience and reduce transit costs.

regards,
/virendra