[Outages-discussion] [outages] NeuStar UltraDNS ? ** Why DDOS Neustar?

Jeremy Chadwick outages at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Jul 11 15:56:20 EDT 2012

This question is basically unanswerable unless you have actual
communication occurring with the individuals who are doing the DDoS.
You'd have to ask them why they're doing it.

The simple version is this: I imagine many people (individuals, small
companies, large companies) rely on UltraDNS to act as their
authoritative nameservers for their domain(s).

Malicious individuals want to take a site offline -- the reason doesn't
matter (ever) because the effects are the same no matter what the reason
(in fact there doesn't even have to be an incentive, it can be as simple
as "some guy/guys were bored").  They look up the common denominator
using dig and/or whois.  "Looks like they only use UltraDNS, with no
other tertiaries..."  You can figure out the rest.  But as I said, the
motive can be anything ranging from financial gain to boredom, so try
not to get too caught up in pondering the reasons.  Sometime there isn't
a reason.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |