[Outages-discussion] [outages] NeuStar UltraDNS ? ** Why DDOS Neustar?

virendra rode virendra.rode at outages.org
Thu Jul 12 00:51:27 EDT 2012

On 07/11/2012 12:38 PM, Joseph Jackson wrote:
> I always wonder what the motivation is behind doing a DDoS attack
> against someone like Neustar.  What would be the gain on taking
> them down?  I guess apart from corporate warfare but I find that to
> be kind of unlikely.
- -----------------
Having scared and been at the front line myself like many of you, a
couple speculation comes to my mind,

1. political
2. possibly someone trying to challenge ultradns ddos protection claim

and other pointers that folks have highlighted.

What I like to understand is, being heavily anycasted did this outage
impact several anycast instances? I for one would be interested to
know ultradns side of the story.

- From what I gather the issue was towards the server(s) end as most
clients were experiencing service degradation.

regards,
/virendra