[Outages-discussion] [outages] Syria off the net

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Nov 29 13:49:37 EST 2012

I do not know the specifics of Syria.

However, many authoritarian governments disallow communications infrastructure to cross their border (e.g. "point-to-point T1 outside the country") except through a very small handful of very closely regulated (read "controlled") agents.  Sometimes only one.

So I doubt any company has a T1 leaving the country unless it is a state-controlled company who wouldn't be doing any sharing of its Internet capacity.

As for satellite uplinks, those are frequently flat-out illegal other than state-run ones for much the same reason.  But they are easier to hide.

During the Egyptian outage, people would do things like go close to the boarder and use 3G roaming on cell phones or the like.  So there are ways out of the country even if the official links are shut down.

--
TTFN,
patrick