[Outages-discussion] FEMA, W.H. send victims to Internet

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Oct 30 11:55:26 EDT 2012

On Oct 30, 2012, at 11:43 , Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>>> PA-TRICK,
>>>
>>> 73 DE K2AHR
>>
>> Yeah, 'cause so many people have short wave gear that operates when power has been out long enough for their smartphone to stop working (or at all) these days.
>
> As long as I can get gasoline, yeah, that's do-able.

1) "So many people".

2) "As long as I can get gasoline".

3) If you can get gasoline, are you saying you can power the shortwave but not the cell phone?  Weird....

I could go on, but I think everyone here gets the point.  Grandma's cell phone battery will die eventually, and she doesn't have a gas generator, or a D-cell + soldering iron & resistor & etc.  So she's screwed.  But what exactly is the alternative?

--
TTFN,
patrick