[Outages-discussion] [outages] Austin TX Area iMessage issues

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Tue Apr 9 19:57:26 EDT 2013

Folks,

It's very important to remember that the outages mailing list server
uses greylisting:

>	(puck.nether.net [204.42.254.5]); Tue, 09 Apr 2013 19:41:30 -0400 (EDT)

If you aren't familiar with greylisting, please read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting#Disadvantages

My opinion has always been that greylisting should not be used on
servers where immediate/quick delivery of mail is required (e.g. mailing
lists or mission-critical things).  I ran a hosting organisation for
nearly 18 years, and greylisting was something we stopped using because
of the delays (I had too many users who were reliant on immediate mail
delivery, pertaining to their places of employment) and because of
random breakage (specifically with postgrey).

However, the server is Jared's and he has a right to run it as he sees
fit, based on many criteria.  We have to respect that.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |