[Outages-discussion] [outages] SMS issues

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Jul 9 00:08:44 EDT 2013

On Jul 9, 2013, at 5:29 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

This was very illuminating - I kind of suspected the general outline of the situation (i.e., manifest incompetence), but you've really painted an entire (bleak) portrait of the current state of the art, as it were.

;>

> Do mobile providers in Europe and Asia even use SMS any more? I've understood it to be a predominantly US thing at this point, but this is just going off of what my European and Asian friends have relayed to me over the years.

Selection bias.  The hoi polloi use SMS all the time.  There's increasing takeup of various IM services - for example, Line is huge, along with QQ, Facebook, and BlackBerry IM (APAC will likely be the last bastion of Blackberry, IMHO) - but those of the lower socioeconomic stratus, which comprises the vast majority of the population, still rely upon text messaging for a great deal of interpersonal communication.  It's alsothe lowest common denominator for things like bank deposit/withdrawal notifications and the like.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton