[Outages-discussion] [outages] After Action Report: 22 Feb Microsoft Azure SSL cert outage

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Mar 5 13:44:39 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jay Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com>

> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2013/03/01/details-of-the-february-22nd-2013-windows-azure-storage-disruption.aspx

The short version is: "someone should have marked the release which would
have gotten the certs updated in time as *containing certs*, and therefore
being time critical, and they didn't, so it got prioritized back far enough
in the job queue that they expired."

I was *very* impressed with the level of detail in the report, and two
thoughts come to me from it:

1) We could all do to lift some process and language from it, and
2) It is of the level of detail that I expect *from someone who is
providing a component service to me to build my own tools and apps
atop* -- this requires a much deeper level of detail and attention to
not-breaking-your-customers'-stuff than is true of consumer software.

Amazon AWS is pretty good about these AARs as well.

Cheers,
-- jra